Monday, January 18, 2016

Everyday Life

Much has happened since I last wrote.

Guatemala was incredible, and I cannot wait to go back.

Thanksgiving came and went with a table full of family.

I finished the semester of 19 credits/6 classes, and I'm happy to say I'm still alive.

Christmas was wonderful with time spent with family and friends.

2015 ended.

I changed my degree( ya I know... again)

College started back up this week.



   In the past four weeks as I waited for classes to start up again I was restless and didn't know what to do half the time. With my job being at the college it also meant I had four weeks off work as well. You might say, "4 weeks off and she's complaining about it?!" Well, that is partially true, there were days that I didn't want to do anything but curl up in my bed and sleep, after all I deserved it right? College isn't easy, finals aren't easy, quizzes, tests, exams aren't, "easy". I worked my butt off and still managed to get a couple B's. At the start of break I was determined to only sleep in on Fridays and Saturdays. Monday rolled around and I quickly shut my alarm off and fell back asleep waking up two hours later. I shrugged if off to the 19 credit semester and continued this pattern for the better part of three weeks. In short, I sleep too much. I could try to blame it on the hypothyroidism and how it causes lethargy/depressions/etc but I've done that for far too long. In all honesty I'm not sure what I'm trying to get at. My break was long and had too many days of sleeping in. I got little accomplished and I am still the same Rachel as I was before.


At the beginning of Christmas break I was determined to use the four weeks to become someone that was more happy, cheerful, and over all a better person. I quickly realized on the long cold winter days it was going to take more than just waking up at a decent time, showering, cleaning the house, and staying off Facebook. My lack of productivity after an intense semester was driving me bonkers. It took me far too long to realize that what I needed to pursue was Him and not a myriad of things to keep me busy. I regret not spending those long afternoons wrapped up in His word, learning more about Him... If I had to look back at those three weeks and tell you what I accomplished the list would be short and mainly consist of scrolling through Facebook (don't worry i won't start an anti fb rant in "this" blog).  Once I finally realized that I couldn't derive my joy/happiness/cheerfulness/ etc. on what I did in a day I was able to focus on what was important rather than continuing to complain(though that still happened on occasion, just ask my little sister). 

My point is that the contents of our day should not determine our attitude, but rather how we pursue and talk to Him throughout the day should determine it. When we focus our attention on the creator of that day it builds up our joy.  Long days are rough, and ones that are gloomy and raining/snowing are even worse. But when we look to Him and give Him the day that He created we gain an incredible Joy that only comes from Him. Next time there's a day that you can't seem to get through talk to Him about it, tell Him what's on your heart and mind. He wants nothing more than to be apart of your everyday life.

In Him,
Rachel 






1 comment:

  1. Great post Rachel! I've been literally struggling with the same kind of thing lately(wanting to use my free time during the slow work season to become a more cheerful, happier person drawing closer to God) ..... but I've failed. You have just encouraged me to start anew each day :) Thank you dear friend! <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete